Thursday, January 28, 2010

Speech Therapist Observations

Katie attends a preschool class for kids with delays and disabilities at a local public school, and she just loves it.  Her teacher and therapists at school know about the procedure she had, and they know I'd really appreciate it if they let me know of any changes they see in her.  After two days back at school, her speech therapist emailed this to me, "She is holding her head up straight, seems to concentrate more on what group is doing, has made many vocalizations, and when she waves, she shows intent!"  I have also seen progress in these areas and  must say she does have better posture, but this wasn't something I noticed until two different therapists mentioned it to me.  She is definitely vocalizing more, although the other day when her OT therapist was here, Katie babbled A LOT more when I left the room.  What's up with that?  Maybe moms in general tend to get the shaft, because I distinctly remember my sister telling me the story about her daughter throwing an absolute fit every time she changed her diaper.  But then one day when daddy was going to change her diaper - little Sophie brought the diaper over, laid it flat on the floor, and then laid on top of it - probably with a smile on her face.  It's just not fair.