Tuesday, April 27, 2010

vision improving!

I took Katie in for her yearly eye appointment and her vision has actually improved!  Her new prescription is not as strong, and the doctor said that Katie has improved a lot as far as tracking objects and convergence.  Convergence insuffiiency is a disorder that interferes with a person's ability to see, read, learn, and work at near (close distances). 

We went to an eye doctor here in Phoenix a few years ago when Katie was about two because Katie's eyes would turn in occasionally (one or the other, not both at the same time).  He suggested waiting on glasses and when I told this to my aunt in Tucson, I think her blood pressure must have shot through the roof!  At the time she worked for "Vision Now" in Tucson.  Vision Now does vision therapy - which is much more than just a regular eye exam.  "Vision therapy is a type of physical therapy for the eyes and brain -- is a highly effective non-surgical treatment for many common visual problems such as lazy eye, crossed eyes, double vision, convergence insufficiency and some reading and learning disabilities. Many patients who have been told, "it's too late," or "you'll have to learn to live with it" have benefited from vision therapy."

 They deal a lot with kids and maybe adults too who have reading problems - and it is a little known secret really, this vision therapy -that needs to get out.  Vision therapy is important because it not only looks to see if a person can read the chart on the wall, it also looks at how a person sees and comprehends the information.  Does the person see the words jumping around on the page as he reads and think that is how everyone sees a page?  Vision therapy helped my 7th grade cousin go from a 3rd grade reading level to the 7th grade reading level in 7 months, and that is why my aunt got involved.  Here is a link  to the Vision Now website for more information:
 http://www.optometrists.org/visionnow/index.html

Okay, that is my promo about the importance of vision therapy.  Who knows, Katie may need it in the future when she is able to read - I'm just thankful I know about it!  And I hope I might help someone else to know about it!

And so thankful for my aunt and those doctors who got Katie and I to Tucson so that Katie could have a very thorough check-up and get some glasses that are not only extremely cute, but help her immensely!

No comments:

Post a Comment