Tuesday, November 16, 2010

SPIO

I ordered a "SPIO" (Stabilizing Pressure Input Orthosis) for Katie.  This is an undergarment that is similar to SPANX (for women, to hold in our cellulite!), or a girdle - if you can't visualize a SPANX.  Katie's is a spandex type of material, and for her I got the pants only - which is worn under her regular pants.  It is intentionally tight on her so that she receives input, and it should help her to know where her body is in space.

So I put it on her today for the first time, sent her to school, and I get a note home from her teacher that she took 5 or 6 steps today, that's a lot for this girl! This SPIO just may be worth the $100 that it cost!  We'll see how it goes tomorrow at treadmil therapy - that should be a good test.

*The SPIO seems to be helping her - She walked to me at treadmill therapy and it was the most balanced I have ever seen her - about 6 steps!  Then, I went to the school for a conference, and Katie's teacher showed me how far she had walked the day before, and I would guess it would have to be at least 10 steps!  Her teacher said she pushed her walker aside, and walked over to where all the other kids were calling for her. (This SPIO is also really good for kids with autism - and a 90 day refund policy!)  I think I made a good investment!

No comments:

Post a Comment